Chevrolet freestyle JOs: Dill, Schwartz savor goldTweet
Katie Dill and Evan Schwartz secured gold Thursday in the slopestyle competition at the Chevrolet Freestyle Junior Olympics.
STEAMBOAT SPRINGS, Colorado — Katie Dill and Evan Schwartz secured gold Thursday in the slopestyle competition at the Chevrolet Freestyle Junior Olympics.
Dill nailed a 900 on her second run to seal the victory. Michelle Galvin was runner-up and Logan Devin was third. The level of competition for the women was markedly higher than in years past.
The men’s competition was another tight competition. Schwartz won, with Kelly Selby the runner-up and Hans Gardner in third.
The weather conditions proved to be extremely challenging. The first round of competition was conducted in a snowstorm, making the speeds very slow and forcing athletes to reduce the difficulty of their tricks. The snow did end for a period of time, allowing the women to get off a second round, but it returned with a vengeance, canceling the second round of the men. The snow, wind, lightning and thunder forced the competition to be a one-run event for the men.
There were 53 men and 16 women competing in the slopestyle event.
Chevrolet Freestyle JOs slopestyle results
1. Katie Dill 68.6 — age 15, Sugarloaf Freestyle Ski Team, Truckee, Calif.
2. Michelle Galvin — age 17, Sunday River Freestyle Team, Rye, N.H.
3. Logan Devin — age 14, Mount Snow Academy, Rockville Center, N.Y.
1. Evan Schwartz 68.6 — age 17, CVA, West Connecticut
2. Kelly Selby 66.2 — age 15, Aspen Valley Ski Club, Aspen, Colo.
3. Hans Gardner 58.1 — age 17, Waterville Valley BBTS/Buffalo Ski Club, Buffalo, N.Y.
For complete results, go to www.rockymountainfreestyle.com.