N.H. teen Fairall pulls upset in NYSEF jumpingTweet
Unheralded teenager Nick Fairall unloaded a 96-meter jump on the first round Sunday and held off Olympian Anders Johnson to win the annual NYSEF New Year's Jump while Lindsey Van made it two wins in less than 24 hours by capturing the women's contest.
LAKE PLACID, New York — Unheralded teenager Nick Fairall unloaded a 96-meter jump on the first round Sunday and held off Olympian Anders Johnson to win the annual NYSEF New Year's Jump while Lindsey Van made it two wins in less than 24 hours by capturing the women's contest.
Fairall, 17, jumped 96 and 90.5 meters to win the New York Ski Education Foundation ski-jumping event with 239.5 points on the 90-meter hill. Johnson, also 17, won Saturday night's New Year's Masters Jump sponsored by the Olympic Regional Development Authority. Sunday, he went 93 and 91 meters for 233.0 and nordic combined skier Willy Graves took third place with jumps of 92.5 and 88.5 for 228.5.
The women jumped from a higher start gate and Van soared 100.5 and 97.5 meters, good for 263.0 points, Abby Hughes was second with jumps of 93 and 86 (217.5 points) while Avery Ardovino completed the podium, finishing third at 195.5 on jumps of 89 and 82 meters. The top five women's skiers Saturday night and Sunday were the same with Alissa Johnson fourth and local favorite Nina Lussi, just 14, finishing fifth.
NYSEF NEW YEAR'S SKI JUMP
MacKenzie-Intervale Jumping Complex
Lake Placid, N.Y. — Jan. 1, 2007
K90 (All jumps in meters)
Men's open class
1. Nick Fairall, Andover, N.H., (96-90.5) 239.5
2. Anders Johnson, Park City, Utah, 93-91) 233.0
3. Willy Graes, Putney, Vt., (92.5-88) 228.5
4. John Lyons, St. Paul, Minn., (87.5-82) 197.5
5. Mike Glasder, Cary, Ill., (87-81) 196.0
Women (higher start)
1. Lindsey Van, Park City, Utah, (100.5-97.5) 263.0
2. Abby Hughes, Park City, Utah, (93-86) 217.5
3. Avery Ardovino, Park City, Utah, (89-82) 195.5
4. Alissa Johnson, Park City, Utah, (85-80.5) 187.5
5. Nina Lussi, Lake Placid, N.Y., (77.5-71) 152.5
Click here for complete results.