Ski Racing seeks Associate WriterTweet
Ski Racing is looking to add a motivated and creative full-time Associate Writer to our staff with responsibility for alpine ski racing coverage. The position will involve writing features, breaking news, race reports and will include additional responsibilities over the full calendar year. The ideal candidate has a background in and passion for the sport, experience as a writer, and can contribute multimedia for feature pieces.
Company Expectations: Team player — working, communicating and constantly assisting each other. One of the biggest challenges the organization faces is the lack of constant interaction of a typical office environment due to working virtually from remote locations. Communication is the key to running an efficient operation. Because of the virtual environment, Ski Racing staff members (both full-time and contractual) are expected to be on Skype whenever possible, especially but not limited to regular work hours. There are no weekends or off-seasons in news.
- Ability to contribute several articles per week
- Strong interviewing and writing skills
- Fundamental understanding of alpine ski racing from junior-World Cup levels
- Work unconventional hours in the competition season
- Travel to domestic events when needed
- Working knowledge of AP style
- Owns a computer and reliable transportation
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in relevant field (English, journalism, communications, liberal arts, history, etc.)
- Past experience in or solid understanding of alpine ski racing
- Basic computer skills (Microsoft Office suite, photo editing software)
- Experience with or capable of learning WordPress
- Preference will be given to candidates with multimedia skills (photography, audio, video)
Salary: Commensurate with experience, but this is considered an entry-level position on our staff.
This opportunity is remote, but the ideal candidate will reside near a U.S. regional hub of alpine ski racing. You must be able to meet tight deadlines, be reliable, and be a self-starter.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, résumé, and portfolio (if applicable) to email@example.com.