St. Onge, Cook lead U.S. aerialists at Mont GabrielTweet
Ryan St. Onge was 10th and Emily Cook 12th Sunday in producing the top results among U.S. skiers in a World Cup aerials competition at Mont Gabriel Ski Area.
MONT GABRIEL, Que. — Ryan St. Onge was 10th and Emily Cook 12th Sunday in producing the top results among U.S. skiers in a World Cup aerials competition at Mont Gabriel Ski Area.
Canadian Steve Omischl won his third event of the World Cup season. He had 249.72 points to top Anton Kushnir of Belarus (243.72) with Dmitri Dashinski, another Belarussian, in third place (243.58). St. Onge had 197.82 points for a full, double-full, full (four twists, three flips) and a double-full, full (three twists, two flips).
Alla Tsuper of Belarus was the women's winner in a narrow decision over China's Nina Li. Tsuper had 201.02 points with Li runner-up at 200.57. Lydia Lassila of Australia completed the podium at 200.21. Cook had trouble with her second landing on a full, double-full (three twists, two flips) and finished with 144.81.
The World Cup tour moves next to the Visa Freestyle International at Utah's Deer Valley Resort. The schedule calls for aerials Friday night, the first World Cup U.S. skicross – the newest Olympic ski event, sometimes called "motocross on skis" – Saturday afternoon and dual moguls Saturday night.
2008 FIS FREESTYLE WORLD CUP
Mont Gabriel, QUE – Jan. 27, 2008
Men's Aerials (12 make finals)
1. Steve Omischl, Canada, 249.72 points
2. Anton Kushnir, Belarus, 243.72
3. Dmitri Dashinski, Belarus, 243.58
4. Stanislav Kravchuk, Ukraine, 236.90
5. Xiaopeng Han, China, 235.67
10. Ryan St. Onge, Winter Park, CO, 197.82
21. Dylan Ferguson, Amesbury, MA
25. Scotty Bahrke, Park City, UT
1. Alla Tsuper, Belarus, 201.02
2. Nina Li, China, 200.57
3. Lydia Lassila, Australia, 200.21
4. Xin Zhang, China, 193.87
5. Evelyne Leu, Switzerland, 190.96
12. Emily Cook, Belmont, MA, 144.81
16. Jana Lindsey, Black Hawk, SD