Television strike postpones men's GSTweet
Television strike postpones men’s GSA wildcat strike by Italian Television technicians postponed the men’s giant slalom today, creating a muddled situation for both fans and athletes and forcing the European Broadcast Union to bring in a strike breaking crew of technicians from Austria, Switzerland and Germany.
According to Gian Franco Kasper, President of the International Ski Federation, the race is ’90 percent assured’ for tomorrow. Thursday is a ‘weather’ or free day on the schedule. Mr. Kasper said the FIS was notified Tuesday evening of the possibility of a technician’s walk out, but there was no definitive word until the Italian broadcast company, RAI, determined who had come to work in the morning. Shortly after 8.30 am the race was postponed.
Coaches and racers were already on course inspection when the decision was made. ‘Obviously this is a disappointment’ said Jesse Hunt, Alpine director of the U. S. Ski Team. ‘We have to hope the weather and course holds up as well as get the athletes up for the race again.’
‘This is an illegal strike’ Mr. Kasper said, adding the Bormio Organizing Committee was ‘not responsible in any way.’
He also reminded the press that there had been a strike twenty years ago by technicians at the end of the 1985 World Championships here.
The FIS is guaranteed television production through a SF 70 ($57.3 million) million contract with the for both the alpine and nordic World Championships.