Our highly qualified, full-time coaching team allows athletes to compete in a variety of schedules—from state USSS races to international FIS events. Gould alpine skiers are members of United States Ski and Snowboard (USSS) and compete at the U19, U16, U14 & U12 levels. Our Alpine Program prepares student-athletes to compete at the highest levels in each age group. We strike a balance of technical skills between free skiing and gate training at Sunday River Resort, while offering the best opportunity for student-athletes to reach their potential. Gould also manages a 250+ member weekend club-level program with athletes ranging from 7-17 years old. This rich gathering of development-age skiers ensures a steady pipeline of potential U19/16 academy level USSS and FIS future athletes.
Essential Qualities of Employment
- Relevant knowledge and skill in their area of expertise
- Creative, life-long learner who seeks to constantly evolve and expand their knowledge base
- Kid-centric & Tech savvy
- Selfless team player and intrinsically motivated
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Responsible and trustworthy; exhibits good judgement
- Possesses strong moral values that are aligned with Gould’s
- Seeks joy and inspires others through their actions and words
Primary Duties and Responsibilities of the Alpine Director
- Work closely with the Competition Manager, Freestyle Director, Snowboard Director, and Nordic Director to promote on-snow program excellence, success, and growth.
- Plan and manage year-round Alpine Program delivery, including training and race schedules, summer & fall camp implementation, early season development (recruiting) camps, year round athlete strength and conditioning plans, ongoing assessment of athlete wellness and physical conditioning
- Provide leadership and guidance to alpine coaching staff, including a comprehensive, progressive coaches education program and professional development training
- Provide regular proactive communication with athletes, parents, faculty, admissions, and administration
- Work closely with admissions to drive student-athlete recruitment of U12-U16 athletes
- Manage athlete equipment in cooperation with coaches, Sunday River Speedworks, and equipment manufacturers
- Alpine budget management in cooperation with the Competition Manager and Athletic Director.
- Manage and maintain Alpine Program equipment with coaching staff (gates, timing, video, etc)
- Involvement with USSS regional and national programs or committees
- Coordinate hill space with Sunday River
- Daily preparation of the training venue in cooperation with coaching staff and Sunday River event staff (course set, fencing, snow preparation, etc.)
- Work closely with the Competition Manager to manage athlete transportation for daily training and races
- Work closely with faculty and students to coordinate and manage academic work while traveling
- Meet general daily professional standards regarding attendance, timeliness, and deadlines
- Develop positive relationships throughout the organization and community
- Communicate responsibly and effectively in all media and forms
- Responds to all communications within a reasonable time frame; at a minimum, responds within 24 hours to acknowledge receipt and plan for a full response
- Adhere to policies and expectations articulated in the Gould Employee Handbook
- Has strong knowledge and understanding of the Gould Code of Conduct and Community Guide
- Assist the Admissions and Advancement Offices, occasionally and when asked, by attending and speaking at special events and meeting with prospective students and families, consultants, alums, prospective donors, etc
To learn more about Gould Academy visit us at: www.gouldacademy.org/careers and look for our prospectus. If you prefer to apply by mail please contact Deborah Menezes, Director of Human Resources, at 207-824-7797.
Qualified candidates apply for this position by creating an applicant profile online, upload your cover letter, resume/CV, and three references. Tell us WHY Gould. Please make sure you click the box “apply/submit.”