Ski Racing Media is currently searching for qualified applicants to round out its editorial staff ahead of the 2020-21 competition season. SRM is considering a number of possibilities to fulfill these positions, including salaried full-time and seasonal roles. Candidates will be evaluated and offered positions based on their levels of experience in media and journalism, as well as knowledge and experience in ski racing.
Ski Racing Media staff writer/editor
The staff writer/editor at Ski Racing Media is a fast-paced, demanding position that involves covering several ski racing circuits, including – but not limited to – World Cup. This staffer will primarily be tasked with writing in-depth features and reporting breaking news, in addition to several other daily responsibilities. A typical workweek could included writing a half a dozen breaking news stories and/or several features. The ideal candidate is a strong writer with experience in journalism, reporting, and knowledge of AP Style. He or she is a self-starter who is willing and able to independently generate and investigate meaningful stories around the industry. The ideal candidate also has a background in and passion for ski racing. We’re looking for someone who is a go-getter, self-motivated, has excellent communication skills and understands that this is not a typical 9-5 job; this is a lifestyle choice.
- Contribute several articles per week (roughly two features or five news stories) with strong, independent reporting skills and knowledge of AP Style
- Edit press releases and repurpose non-native content for publication on SRM’s site
- Management and distribution of content through systems, such as WordPress
- Strong implementation of social media best practices, management of all applicable platforms
- Take photos, shoot and edit video footage
- Available to work unconventional hours, weekends, early mornings
- Travel to domestic and international events
- Own a computer capable of handling media workloads
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in relevant field (English, journalism, communications, liberal arts, etc.)
- Past experience or solid understanding of alpine ski racing, its players and industry
- Professional experience as a writer or journalist, working knowledge of AP Style, ethics in reporting and best practices in journalism
- Demonstrated experience working in a fast-paced demanding environment
- Demonstrated understanding of social media platforms and best practices
- Strong interviewing and writing skills
- Experience with WordPress
- BONUS: Experience in multimedia (photography, audio, video)
- BONUS: Demonstrated experience in marketing, email marketing, graphic design
- BONUS: Experience in PR and content marketing
Salary and terms of employment: DOE
Qualified candidates should send a resume, cover letter and published writing samples to Editor-in-Chief Geoff Mintz at [email protected].