Job Posting – Director of Snow Sports
The Snow Sports Program at Proctor Academy is comprised of 120 athletes in five disciplines: Alpine Skiing, Cross-Country Skiing, Snowboarding, Ski Jumping, and Freeski. Snowsports have a rich history at Proctor — a school that has been described as The School on Skis. The Proctor Ski Area is one of the finest privately owned and operated high school ski hills in the entire country, boasting two FIS homologated alpine trails featuring state of the art snowmaking and lighting top to bottom, along with a lighted, homologated 1.8KM cross-country sprint loop with full snowmaking. Proctor is committed to an athletic philosophy that encourages multi-sport participation, but also works with and trains highly focused and high performing athletes, supporting them year round to realize their full athletic potential through strength and conditioning, nutrition, sports psychology, and on snow opportunities. We help our athletes set their goals, attain goals, but move beyond simple physical accomplishments. Proctor offers an array of on and off-campus programming and rich academic pathways.
The Director of Proctor’s Snow Sports will have overall responsibility for ensuring that snow sports at Proctor continues the long-standing tradition of providing opportunities for high performing athletes to develop the skills necessary to compete at the highest domestic and international competitions, and for intermediate level participants and newcomers to discover the richness of snow sports activities through the guidance of highly professional and caring coaches. Our collective goal is to develop high-level competitors while fostering a life-long love of snow sports. This is a 12 month commitment. The Director will understand and support Proctor’s mission and its priorities.
On-Snow Responsibilities. The Director is expected to be a consistent presence on the training hill and at races for the USSA/FIS program, but will also have his/her presence felt by all of the snow sports programs and will work with all snow sports coaches. On Proctor Ski Hill race days, the program director is directly engaged in overseeing or ensuring appropriate representation at the venue and volunteers to ensure smooth, safe, and professional races.
Off-Snow Responsibilities. The Director of Snow Sports is responsible for attending, and encouraging staff to participate in, regional and national USSA meetings and should, when appropriate, seek to be on the New Hampshire and Eastern Regional Committees to promote the program and seek appropriate races for Proctor to host. The Director works to ensure that
Proctor is seen as a relevant and important supporter of ski racing in the Eastern Region. In addition, the following areas of focus are noted:
- Oversight of USSA/FIS individual athlete plans
- Oversight of all Snow Sports Coaching Staff, Creating and Sustaining a Culture of Professional Development for Coaches
- Ensuring Appropriate Training Camps
- Maintain Awareness of Academic Progress of Athletes
- Program Recruitment
- Promotion of ProgramThrough Internal and External Marketing
- Guidance for Athletes in the College Counseling Process
- Venue Management. The Director of Snow Sports will work to ensure that all training and competition venues, both at the Proctor Ski Area and at Ragged Mountain, are maintained and developed to meet program goals. It is anticipated that the Director of Snow Sports will take an active role in generating revenue through securing and managing USSA/FIS races and other competitions, while also ensuring rentals for training help offset operational expenses. The Director of Snow Sports will actively work to further develop the school’s resources and will be a standing member of the trustee’s Ski Area Sub-Committee.
- BENEFITS and SALARIES: This will be a full-time, year-round position with compensation commensurate with responsibilities and the experience level of candidates. Full-time benefits include 401(k) plan, health and dental insurance, life and AD&D insurance, short-term disability, and long-term disability. APPLICATION INFORMATION: Send resume and cover letter to [email protected] by April 16, 2021 Proctor Academy is committed to building a community of inclusion across race, gender identity, age, religion, sexual orientation, and experience. We strongly encourage applications from candidates with diverse experiences and backgrounds. Proctor Academy is an equal opportunity employer.