Last week, Bode Miller filed a lawsuit against Head USA in Los Angeles Federal Court in an attempt to free himself of restrictions in his termination agreement, which would force him to ski on HEAD equipment during the 2016-17 season if he returns to the World Cup circuit. HEAD released an official statement in response to the suit on Monday morning, supporting the American’s return to competition.

According to the statement, Miller told HEAD he would finally retire from ski racing in 2015 but requested that his contract be terminated a year early so that he could enter into a promotional contract with Bomber Ski for his personal gain. The favor was granted based on the understanding that Miller would not return to racing; but if he did return before the end of the 2016-17 season, he would not be permitted to compete on any equipment other than HEAD skis, boots and bindings.

“Bode Miller agreed to this as is stipulated in the termination agreement,” HEAD’s statement said. “Notwithstanding the terms of the termination agreement, Bode Miller recently announced that he would breach this agreement. Head will be seeking to have Bode honor his contractual commitments and is fully behind him skiing competitively this season, on Head skis, as he is obligated to do.”

Johan Eliasch, chairman and CEO of HEAD, weighed in on Miller’s return.

“I am truly very disappointed to see that Bode has no intention to honor his word and that he intends to breach our agreement to that effect,” Eliasch shared. “We will take every action to enforce our rights against Bode. That said, HEAD would welcome Bode’s return to World Cup racing, but it has to be on HEAD equipment.”

Rainer Salzgeber, director of the HEAD Race Team added, “Of course I would like to see Bode racing again, but it has to be on HEAD equipment.”